3.16.2015

Lip Obsessed: NYX

NYX Lippies
L-R: Macaron Lippie in Lavender, Wicked Lippies in Betrayal, Power, and Wrath, Matte Lipstick in Aria, Soft Matte Lip Cream in Transylvania, and Lip Liner in Nectar (free gift)
A few months ago I decided to purge all my old makeup. What was left was pretty pathetic. Because of the holidays and my birthday, I was able to replenish my stash guilt free. Once everything started trickling in, I began to realize I have an unhealthy obsession with lip products.

There is no way I would get around to trying all of them without the excuse of having to swatch them for the blog. Hence, my latest series in posts: Lip Obsessed. Up first is a brand I have heard great things about, but had limited experience with, NYX.

I was unsure which of their lip products I would like best so I ended up purchasing a few different types via their website. They offer 25% off for first time customers who sign up for email updates. The Canadian/US exchange rate is pretty poop right now, so the code made me feel much less guilty for splurging on items I wasn't sure I'd even like. Not that I would consider NYX a splurge, with most of their lip products coming in at a reasonable $6. I also got a free lip liner with my order. Score!

I spent a week test driving these beauties and my thoughts on all of them are below:

NYX Swatches
L-R: Transylvania, Aria, Nectar, Wrath, Betrayal, Power, and Lavender
Soft Matte Lip Cream in Transylvania: First off, the texture of this is more like a mousse than a cream. It's also pretty dry. I'm not sure whether I just received an old product, or if this is how the actual texture is. The color is beautiful, but super patchy, and so I needed to layer it on. The actual color didn't last for very long after eating and drinking and it looked like the total product transferred on to everything my lips touched, but it did leave a stain for quite a while.

Matte Lipstick in Aria: I am obsessed with this lipstick. At first I thought that the colour would be much too pink for me, but it ended up matching well with my natural lips. Even though it's a matte lipstick, the texture is quite creamy and not drying at all. The pigmentation is also on point; it only took one swipe to get the full colour. Again though, I couldn't remove it completely at the end of the day, with either makeup wipes or vaseline.

Lip Liner in Nectar: I was hoping I could match this with either Wrath or Power, but it doesn't seem to go with either. It's much too peachy for me personally, but it's pretty nonetheless. Even though there appears to be some glitter in the formula, the texture isn't gritty at all. It goes on smooth and and feels lush on the lips. When I removed this from my lips, it came off completely, but it seemed to want to stick to my arm when I did my swatches. What the heck is NYX using in the formulas of their products?

Wicked Lippies in Wrath, Betrayal, and Power: All of the Wiked Lippies went on true to colour. I was able to layer these to get my desired opacity, and none of them gave an uneven application. Wrath and Power were my favourite since they suited me better, but Betrayal found a good home in the little girl's "Tickle Trunk" (Does anyone else miss Mr. Dressup? That was some quality children's programming right there). They each lasted a few hours before I had to reapply, but there was some serious transfer with Betrayal and my lips had a purple tint long after I removed the lipstick.

Macaron Lippie in Lavender: Why I thought this colour would suit me is a mystery. I looked so horrid, I only managed to leave this on for about an hour, so I can't comment on it's staying power. What I can say is that formula is horrible. It was like swiping wax on my lips. I barely got any product on, and I couldn't even layer it to increase the colour payoff because each new swipe would just remove the product that was previously applied. No matter what I did, I even tried using a lip brush, I could not get full coverage. Not even the Tickle Trunk wanted Lavender, and so it's now at the bottom of my trash bin.

L-R: Transylvania, Aria, Nectar, and Betrayal
The tints left of my lips were much darker than in the photo above, but I also didn't put them through as much of a cleaning process. I removed most of the swatches with one swipe of my Bioderma H20 micellar water, but the ones that remained made it through a vaseline rub and some serious anti-bacterial soap action. They finally came off in the shower with some sea salt exfoliation.

No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.