2.23.2015

Dancing On A Dime: Buy in Bulk



Although we haven't been given our makeup colors or shoe and tight options, there are still ways I am able to prepare for the upcoming competitions. I like to make sure my kit is fully stocked with all of the dance necessities long before I have to throw it in Rac n Roll and run. Right now I'm trying to compile everything I need for hair and body, and spend as little as possible while doing so.


 Fashion Tape from You're Lookin' Good!: This was the supplier I was planning on using for my Competition Box. Seriously, their prices cannot be beat, especially if you're stocking up. They start at $1.39 USD for both 3M 1522 and Red Liner Sensi-Tak (the stronger hold option). There are also shipping costs involved, which start at $10 USD, but by placing a group order with other parents and dancers, and even factoring in the currency exchange, one could pay as little as $2.25 CAD a roll. Forget the $12 that Shoppers Drug Mart charges for the same product, and the $8 that the Capezio Bunheads line charges for pre-cut strips; try heading to your local wig shoppe or check out hairtape.com for some serious savings. It's the same tape!


Hair Nets from Uline: I suppose I'm lucky because the little girl's hair is quite an average color. I can buy any brown hair net for her buns, and they're likely to match. Right now I'm testing out a box of nylon ones I purchased from Uline. Sure, they're meant for food sanitation, but they feel and look the same as the Bunheads ones I get from Discount Dance Supply. Gone are the days of paying $4 for a pack of 3 nets, which will last approximately one wear before they get caught on pins, rip, and have to be tossed out. I paid $22 CAD for a pack of 144 nets. This is another buy in bulk purchase since Uline's site only allows you to buy a minimum of 3 boxes at a time. That's over 400 hair nets. I don't think any dancer could go through that many in a comp season. I did manage to get my hands on one box by calling in instead of ordering online, and being close to their Canadian facility so I could pick up in person. Obviously, this option isn't available to everyone. What I do suggest is checking out a local restaurant supply store or Cash & Carry for a similar product. The cost would mostly likely work out to about about $0.25 a net, rather than the $1 each being paid to dance suppliers.

P.S.: My camera is broken, so I apologize for the crummy images. I would love if someone could recommend a digital camera that works well for blog photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.